This marker was removed in 2022 at the request of a nearby property owner who asked that it be moved to another site. After much research, it was determined that marker was likely placed at an incorrect location, and the actual site of the first cemetery could not be confirmed. This was one of [...]
About Leslie KorenkoThis author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Leslie Korenko has created 14 blog entries.
THE MILAN CANAL Construction of the Milan Canal began in 1833 and the first canal boats were launched on July 4, 1838. It opened to lake navigation on July 4, 1839. The peak year of commerce was 1847. For 15 years or more, the village prospered as one of the busiest ports on the [...]
HISTORIC MARKER – ALMON RUGGLES, SURVEYOR OF THE FIRELANDS AND THE UNKNOWN SAILOR AND THE BATTLE OF LAKE ERIELeslie Korenko2020-12-20T10:08:38-05:00
ALMON RUGGLES, SURVEYOR OF THE FIRELANDS AND THE UNKNOWN SAILOR AND THE BATTLE OF LAKE ERIE In the Fall 2020, this two-sided historic marker was installed at the Oak Bluff Cemetery is located at 4301 E Old Lake Rd, Huron, OH 44839. Due to safety concerns surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the dedication ceremony was [...]
Although ravaged by the elements, there is a 'rock' in the downtown park which has an unusual history. On July 4, 1991 – the Erie County Historical Society dedicated one of its earliest plaques to explain this geological wonder. This history is ‘mostly’ taken from Janet Senne’s dedication speech, with a little more added. [...]
OUR APRIL 7, 2019 SPRING TOUR RESERVATIONS ARE NECESSARY IF YOU WANT TO ATTEND ECHS@bex.net On April 7, 2019 we will host a tour of the former E & K (Engels & Krudwig) Winery at 224 E. Market St. After the tour, join us for a social hour at the Bait House. We met at [...]
THE GRAEFE BUILDING This building takes up much of the north side of E. Market St. It was constructed in 1939 after a devastating fire destroyed the original Graefe building. A newspaper article announced plans by Frankel and Sears to occupy the building and noted that plastering was still underway and light fixtures needed [...]
THE WILDMAN & MILLS WAREHOUSE – 223 W. Water St. The building was built in 1835 by Sandusky founders Zalmon Wildman and Isaac Mills for warehouse use. Its front door faces Water St. and its back faces Shoreline Dr. once railroad tracks which ran along the shoreline. THE SANDUSKY ATHLETIC CLUB The Club has a long [...]
THE WILKE BUILDING - 129 Columbus Ave. According to an article from the Sandusky Register of January 30, 1986, the Wilke building was originally part of the West House hotel. The article said that retail stores were on the street level, while hotel rooms occupied the upper floors. When the West House was demolished, they saved the Wilke [...]
THE LAURENCE BUILDING - 129-139 W. Market St. This building dates back to around 1880. It was restored in 1978. While the building bears its name, not much history is available on this building. The Sandusky Library has an interesting article on Laurence Cable who might have [...]