wdd

Home/wdd

About wdd

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far wdd has created 94 blog entries.

Erie County Marker

2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

Washington Street, between Columbus Ave and Jackson Street

Erie County had its origin during the Revolutionary War when several towns on the Connecticut Coast were burned by the British. Continue Reading >
Erie County Marker2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

Facer Park

2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

255 Water Street

In 2005, a group of young civic leaders in Sandusky initiated an effort to recognize the city’s role in the Underground Railroad. Continue Reading >
Facer Park2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

Feick Building

2019-09-01T10:44:53-05:00

158 - 160 East Market Street

The Feick Building, Sandusky’s tallest building (eight stories) was designed by Purcell and Feick, a Minneapolis Based architectural partnership formed by two Cornell classmates, one being Sandusky native, George Feick Jr. Continue Reading >
Feick Building2019-09-01T10:44:53-05:00

First Congregational Church

2016-12-05T13:14:57-05:00

431 Columbus Avenue

Walking several blocks south of Washington Park it is easy to see why this has been called “church corner”. Continue Reading >
First Congregational Church2016-12-05T13:14:57-05:00

First Federal Savings of Lorain

2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

207 West Washington Row

In June 1968, both the vacant Sloane Hotel site and the Sloane Block were purchased by the Savings Building and Loan Company. Savings Building and Loan began in Sandusky in 1888, and the bank saw its purchase of both properties as a way that it could “do something to improve the downtown area.” Continue Reading >
First Federal Savings of Lorain2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

Fisher’s Hall

2018-10-08T09:32:22-05:00

163 - 165 East Water Street

Fisher’s Hall is the second large limestone building to occupy the northwest corner of East Water Street and Wayne Street. Continue Reading >
Fisher’s Hall2018-10-08T09:32:22-05:00

Follett House

2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

404 Wayne Street

Oran Follett, who was the publisher of the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, resided at 404 Wayne Street. Eliza, Oran’s second wife, was very sympathetic to escaping slaves. Continue Reading >
Follett House2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

Frank Schnaitter Tailoring Company

2018-11-01T07:21:54-05:00

104 - 106 Columbus Avenue

The building standing at 104 and 106 Columbus Avenue was constructed for immigrants Anton Buderus and Cornelius Schnaitter who utilized the Victorian style building for their tailor shop. Continue Reading >
Frank Schnaitter Tailoring Company2018-11-01T07:21:54-05:00

Freeland T. Barney Building

2018-10-07T09:26:41-05:00

225-231 West Water Street

In 1835 Zalmon Wildman and Isaac Mills, founders of Sandusky, built three brick stores each three stories high on Water Lots 68, 69, and 70. Continue Reading >
Freeland T. Barney Building2018-10-07T09:26:41-05:00