CARYL CRANE CLOTHING STORE
This building was constructed in 1878 but modernized in 1955 when its façade was covered with green porcelain panels. The building was best known as the home of the Caryl Crane clothing store, which operated here from 1946 until relocating to the Sandusky Mall in the late 1970s. Next to the women’s’ store was a men’s store, Byer Bros.
In October of 1954, the Byer Brothers moved to their new store at 129 Columbus Avenue in the Wilke building. The new location was triple the floor space of its previous location which had also been located on Columbus Avenue.
Caryl Crane, 1949. On the far left you can see a portion of LaSalles building and sign. Next to that is Byer Bros. Store for Men, Caryl Crane, and the long building on the right is J. C. Penney which took up the corner of Columbus and Market St. Image courtesy of Sandusky Library Archives Research Center
There is a great article on Caryl Crane on the Sandusky Library BlogSpot HERE.
In August of 1974, J.C. Penney announced its plans to open a new store at the planned Sandusky Mall, and its downtown store closed when the mall store opened in the late 1970s. After the closure of J.C. Penney its building remained vacant, and in December 1981 the Sandusky city government agreed to purchase both the former Penney’s building as well as the Gray Drug building for one dollar. The city additionally purchased the Graham-Ritter Building in 1984.
In 1991, this building and two others were demolished. Now it is the site of the Erie County Parking Garage, a joint Sandusky-Erie County project that opened to the public in 1996.