Washington Park Historic Walking Tour

//Washington Park Historic Walking Tour

Academy Building

2016-12-05T13:14:57+00:00

318 Columbus Avenue

The building was built in 1828 as a school and for other purposes on the East Public Square. Continue Reading >

Academy Building2016-12-05T13:14:57+00:00

August H. Moss House

2016-12-05T13:14:57+00:00

428 Wayne Street

August Moss was a prosperous banker and merchant who lived in this grandiose mansion built for him in 1842, residing near prominent Sanduskians such as Oran Follett, Lester Hubbard, and his brother J. O. Moss. Continue Reading >

August H. Moss House2016-12-05T13:14:57+00:00

Beatty Church

2016-12-05T13:14:58+00:00

SE Corner of Washington and Jackson Streets

A person looking in a south easterly direction from the northeast corner of Jackson and West Washington St. anytime during the latter half of the 19th century would have seen the old Beatty Church which stood just northwest of the courthouse. Continue Reading >

Beatty Church2016-12-05T13:14:58+00:00

Boy with the Boot

2018-10-08T09:26:01+00:00

Washington Street, between Columbus Avenue and Jackson Street

The “Boy with the Boot” statue cast by J. W. Fiske Ironworks in New York City made its first appearance in Sandusky in 1895 at the foot of Wayne Street, just about two blocks northeast from here. Continue Reading >

Boy with the Boot2018-10-08T09:26:01+00:00

Congregational Church

2016-12-05T13:14:57+00:00

SW Corner of Columbus Ave and Washington Street

The Congregational Church was first organized in 1819, but, its first church building was not opened until 1835. Continue Reading >

Congregational Church2016-12-05T13:14:57+00:00

Eleutheros Cooke House

2018-10-01T11:38:23+00:00

NW Corner Columbus Ave and W. Washington Row

Eleutherous Cooke came to this area in 1818, settling in Bloomingville before moving to Sandusky in 1821. Continue Reading >

Eleutheros Cooke House2018-10-01T11:38:23+00:00

Erie County Marker

2016-12-05T13:14:58+00:00

Washington Street, between Columbus Ave and Jackson Street

Erie County had its origin during the Revolutionary War when several towns on the Connecticut Coast were burned by the British. Continue Reading >

Erie County Marker2016-12-05T13:14:58+00:00