Washington Park Historic Walking Tour

Home/Historic Walking Tours/Washington Park Historic Walking Tour

First Congregational Church


431 Columbus Avenue

Walking several blocks south of Washington Park it is easy to see why this has been called “church corner”. Continue Reading >
First Congregational Church2016-12-05T13:14:57-05:00

First Federal Savings of Lorain


207 West Washington Row

In June 1968, both the vacant Sloane Hotel site and the Sloane Block were purchased by the Savings Building and Loan Company. Savings Building and Loan began in Sandusky in 1888, and the bank saw its purchase of both properties as a way that it could “do something to improve the downtown area.” Continue Reading >
First Federal Savings of Lorain2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

Follett House


404 Wayne Street

Oran Follett, who was the publisher of the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, resided at 404 Wayne Street. Eliza, Oran’s second wife, was very sympathetic to escaping slaves. Continue Reading >
Follett House2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

Grace Episcopal Church


315 Wayne Street

Grace Episcopal Church has the distinction of being the oldest congregation in Ohio whose present church building still incorporates a portion of its original structure. Continue Reading >
Grace Episcopal Church2016-12-05T13:14:57-05:00

J. O. Moss House


414 Wayne Street

The building at 414 Wayne Street was originally built as the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jay O. Moss in 1872. Continue Reading >
J. O. Moss House2016-12-05T13:14:57-05:00

Jury of Erie County Women Marker


323 Columbus Avenue

One of the first Common Pleas Court juries to be composed of women in the United States was impaneled in Erie County on August 26, 1920, the day Tennessee became the last state necessary to ratify the nineteenth amendment to the United States which provided equal suffrage for women. Continue Reading >
Jury of Erie County Women Marker2020-03-19T07:13:42-04:00



NW Corner Columbus Ave and W. Washington Row

In February of 1948, Toledo-based Lasalle and Koch Company, announced plans to build a department store on this corner, with demolition of part of the Sloane House beginning in September of that year. Continue Reading >

Lester Hubbard House


134 East Adams Street

Sandusky businessman and banker Lester S. Hubbard built this lovely stone house at the southwest corner of Wayne and Adams Streets in 1852. Continue Reading >
Lester Hubbard House2016-12-05T13:14:57-05:00

Lucas Beecher House


Attorney Lucas Beecher lived in this stone house at 215 W. Washington Row.

Beecher represented Benjamin Johnson, a fugitive slave who arrived in Sandusky during the 1830’s. Beecher won Johnson’s freedom by arguing that Johnson was not the property of the plaintiff because the purchase was made in Ohio, which was a free state. Johnson then became a free resident of Sandusky. Continue Reading >
Lucas Beecher House2018-10-21T07:09:18-04:00
Go to Top