Historical Markers

Home/Historical Markers

Sandusky Marker

2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

Washington Street, between Columbus Ave and Jackson Street

In 1816, Zalmon Wildman, a citizen of Connecticut, platted “Sandusky City” in Portland Township on the south shore of Sandusky Bay on the site formerly occupied by the Indian chief, Ogontz. Continue Reading >
Sandusky Marker2016-12-05T13:14:58-05:00

Sandusky Plat Marker

2016-12-05T13:14:55-05:00

SW Corner of Wayne and Washington Streets

In 1817, James Kilbourne met Isaac Mills and Zalmon Wildman, the owners of the land where Sandusky now stands, and convinced them to pool their resources in order to establish a new city on the south shore of Sandusky Bay. Continue Reading >
Sandusky Plat Marker2016-12-05T13:14:55-05:00

Trinity United Methodist Church

2016-12-05T13:14:57-05:00

214 East Jefferson Street

In 1918 the Methodist church lost its location at the corner of Washington Street and Jackson Street to make way for the new Post Office. Continue Reading >
Trinity United Methodist Church2016-12-05T13:14:57-05:00

Underground Railroad Historical Marker

2018-10-08T07:45:49-04:00

Jackson Street Pier Entrance

At the entrance to the Jackson Street Pier is an historical marker recognizing the activities of the Underground Railroad in Sandusky during the years preceding the Civil War. Continue Reading >
Underground Railroad Historical Marker2018-10-08T07:45:49-04:00
Go to Top