Three major churches are on the corners of Jefferson Street and Columbus Avenue. One of these congregations is First Congregational United Church of Christ. The church was founded in 1819. It was a cooperative effort of the Presbyterians and Congregationalists in Connecticut to establish new churches in the frontier. This remained so until differing opinions on the slavery issue caused a split in 1852. This building is an institutional church serving in the community and remains so today with outreach programs. The building was designed by Sidney Badgley of Cleveland in 1895. The wide porch and square towers are his architectural signature.