Grace Episcopal Church, ca. 1910-1930. Image courtesy of Sandusky Library Archives Research Center
Grace Episcopal Church is the only Ohio Episcopal church organized by lay members without the assistance of clergy.
Sandusky Episcopalians began construction of their church in 1835 and it was dedicated in 1843. These structures are still incorporated in the present church building. The original church was built of yellow-hued limestone and was quarried nearby. The yellowish tone to the limestone is a noticeable difference from the more common blue limestone used to build many of Sandusky’s churches, homes, and public buildings.
In 1856-58, the original single steeple was replaced by two towers. Several other additions were added to the church over the years. The rounded arches over the windows and other features are a fine example of the Romanesque-Revival style.
In 1982, Grace Episcopal Church was placed on the National Register of Historical Places.