GRAHAM DRUG STORE

Graham Drug - Erie County Ohio Historical Society

 The Graham Drug Building (left side) at the corner of Columbus Avenue and Water Streets. Looking south up Columbus Avenue the spires of Sts. Peter & Paul Church and Zion Lutheran Church are visible. Ca. 1890. Image courtesy of Sandusky Library Archives Research Center[/fusion_text]

During the antebellum years the cluster of storefronts lining the southeastern corner of Columbus Avenue and Market Street included tailor, cobbler, milliner, and barber shops, along with a market. Today Daly’s Pub occupies the ground floor.

Both these views show the building’s Water St. side.

 

 

When completed in 1868, the Second Empire style building  boasted arched windows on each of the three floors below the mansard with ornate dormers. The Graham Drug Store occupied the first floor from 1868 to 1926. During the mid 1800’s it was not uncommon for drug stores to sell paint and mineral spirits.

March 24, 1868 – Cottage Color Paint Co., Ground in Oil, a large and well selected assortment can be had at Graham’s Drug store. Also 200 cans Pure White Lead in Oil, 100 cans Parlor Lead in oil, 500 lbs Marseilles Green in oil, 300 lbs Chrome Green in oil, 300 lbs. Chrome yellow in oil. Red Lead, Literage and every variety of paints at wholesale and retail.

This is the Graham Building today. While not apparent in the older photos, the drug store actually had its longest wall on Water St. Looking at the building from Columbus Ave. the left side, the lighter wall with the three windows, is the only part of the Graham Drug Store building. The building adjoining it to the right, with the seven white emblems along the green roof line, is the was the Schnaitter building.

 

 

 

 

[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row]
[/fusion_builder_container]