Lea Block, ca. 1920. Image courtesy of Sandusky Library Archives Research Center
The southwest corner of Wayne and Market Streets is known as the Lea Block.
It extends from 174-186 Market Street and received its name from James Lea. The first floors of the building were shops while the second floors held offices. The third floor was a ballroom and was once used by the Knights of Pythias Hall. The building has very interesting architecture (Second Romanesque Revival). Most of the building is buff brick with red brick in the rear. Notice the round windows and rounded window caps. The corner combines a metal basket-weave design with brick dividers and metal caps.
A Few old Advertisements.
August 25, 1873 – A few more choice styles of wall paper has just opened at Holland, Bauman & Co., No. 12 Market street. The latest patterns in Embossed, English, Gilt and the cheap grades at very low prices.
December 18, 1876 – For toys, Rocking Horses, Doll Buggies, Whips and Drums; to go Dehnel and Lea’s.
July 26, 1867 – Accordions – New German Accordions sold at very low figures. Also repaired at short notice and cheap. By A. J. Nusly, Market St.
E. Market Street, ca. 1930s. Image courtesy of Sandusky Library Archives Research Center
E Market Street today.
The Lea Building today.