The construction started in 1888 and the cornerstone was laid on June 24, 1889. Today the lodge is shared by two masonic lodges, Perseverance no. 329 and Science no. 50, along with Sandusky City Chapter no. 72, Sandusky City council no. 26, and Erie Commandery no 23. The Temple was designed by H. C. Lindsay of Zanesville in the Romanesque – Revival style. It was constructed by Adam Feick and Brothers. The first Master of Science Lodge no. 50 was Hector Kilbourne who plotted out the original City of Sandusky. Mr. Kilbourne utilized the masonic symbols of the square and compass to arrange the streets which yields some interesting street intersections and a few pointed buildings. The building suffered a major fire on January 15, 1943 which drastically altered the look of the building in the reconstruction. The building is still used by the Masons. A variety of tenants occupy the ground floor of the building.