Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library and Museum
1337 Hayes Avenue (at Spiegel Grove), Fremont
(419) 332-2081, (800) 998-7737
Facebook: Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
The Nation’s first Presidential Library, opened in 1916, the library and museum study the life and times of our country’s 19th president, Rutherford B. Hayes, who served one term, 1877-1891. Hayes (1822-1893) was a decorated Civil War officer, congressman, and a governor of Ohio before winning the presidency in a disputed election. As president, Hayes withdrew federal troops from the South, ending Reconstruction. The Spiegel Grove complex includes the presidential library, museum, the restored home of the Hayes family, and the tomb of President Hayes and his wife, Lucy Webb Hayes. The organization hosts many events throughout the year including the veranda concerts and sleigh rides in the winter.
The Library – Honoring the memory of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th U.S. president, the Hayes family established a presidential library, the first in the United States. Opened in 1916, this library preserves President Hayes’s personal library along with archival material from his military and political career, particularly his presidency (1877-1881). Over the years, the staff has expanded the collection to over 90,000 books which reflect Hayes’ special interests, including genealogy, local history, and the Gilded Age period in which he lived. The Manuscripts Division contains more than 6000 linear feet of documentary material.
The website has many resources including a substantial library. One of their unique resources is the online Ohio Obituary Index: http://www.rbhayes.org/main/about-obituaries/
Sandusky County Historical Society
514 Birchard Ave, Fremont OH 43420
Facebook: Sandusky County History
The Sandusky County Historical Society was formed on June 6, 1874 . Among the founders was Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States who served as the Society’s first secretary. The original name of the society was the Sandusky County Pioneer and Historical Association. The building which currently houses the Sandusky County Historical Society Museum was built in 1884. The cost of the Victorian style home was $14,000, and was considered to be the finest home in Fremont. It was a wedding present for Carrie June, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David June, upon her marriage to Martin Holderman on September 10, 1884. The wedding was held at the June home, which at the time was located on the corner of Park Avenue (then known as Main Street) and Birchard Avenue. That home was removed in 1914. The reception was held in the newly constructed residence. Another beautiful reception was held in the home after the marriage of Clarrisa Marie Holderman to Doctor Marcel Wesley Sherwood of Texas on June 22, 1912. For many years the home was known as the Holderman home, and remained in the family until 1942, when it was sold by the heirs to the Beth Israel Congregation. It served as a religious, educational and social center for the Jewish community of Fremont and the surrounding area. Declining membership was a deciding factor in selling the property.
In 1977 a strong wind caused structural damage to the porch, which had to be removed. The Sandusky County Historical Society purchased the property in 1981, enabling the organization to house their various artifacts under one roof. In addition, a large room on the first floor serves as a meeting room for programs and lectures.