That the high school proved to be an indispensable part of the free school was manifested when the cornerstone for a new building was laid in 1866. The new limestone building was completed in a hurry when the old school burned in 1869. The Adams Building (old high school) began construction in
1867 and is the second oldest school building still in active use in Ohio. The structure was renovated in 1914 and 1977. It has 91,935 square feet of usable space. After being the original high school, the building was renamed Adams Junior High School in 1958 to house seventh grade until 2010. For the 2010-2012 school years both seventh and eighth grade students were housed together. The Adams building is still in use by Sandusky City Schools and houses the Sandusky Digital Academy, an alternative to traditional high school, and sections are leased to the county school system.