133-143 E. Water St.
From 1817 until 1852 the first wood frame building in Sandusky sat on this site.
About 1852 George Reber built this building out of limestone as a commercial investment. It was built by Zalman Wildman. The wide cornice is plain. Pointed caps and plain sills decorate the windows of the second and third floors. The plain first floor store fronts have receded cast iron posts which divide and support the façade.
January 6, 1866 – Post, Lewis & Radcliff, Dealers in Groceries and provisions. Netting for pounds and seines and ship chandlers. Reber’s Block, Water St., Sandusky O. H. C. Post, L. W. Lewis, J. B. Radcliff.
This building housed the German newspaper Das Intelligence Blatt, the Sandusky Mirror and Bay Stadt Demokrat.
During the Civil War confederate prisoners were held here when weather did not permit transportation to the Johnson’s Island Prison camp. Find out more HERE.
There has also been a hospital, a private club, a cigar and vending machine business, a supper club and dance floor in this building. Today it houses various offices.