At the southeast corner of Jackson and Market streets in downtown Sandusky
The Rieger Hotel was opened by businessman John Rieger in 1912.
Rieger Hotel ca. 1916. Image courtesy of Sandusky Library Archives Research Center
A fifth floor was added in 1917 to increase the number of rooms in the hotel. In 1942 an improved entrance was constructed.
In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries most people traveled by train. Hotels were located in the center of cities. In the 1950’s and 1960’s more people traveled by automobiles. Because of poor overnight parking in the downtown areas, motels became popular. These motels were often located at the edge of cities. With the loss of business the Rieger hotel closed in the early 1960’s.
Kermit Price bought the closed hotel in 1964 and converted it to a nursing home. The nursing home closed in 1989. Mr. Price reopened the building as a hotel in 1992. The building was sold in 1995. It has had several owners in recent years and was ultimately converted into senior citizen apartments on the upper floors and a bridal shop in the corner of the first floor.
During the latest renovation the old Rieger sign was uncovered.
Rieger Hotel ca. 1920s. Image courtesy of Sandusky Library Archives Research Center
Click HERE for some more information on the Rieger Hotel, courtesy of the Sandusky Library Blogspot.