The building at 142 Columbus Avenue was built in 1853 and housed a succession of banks: Union Bank, Second National Bank, and Commercial Bank.
Zinc Brasserrie, a well-known French inspired restaurant occupied the first floor from 2006 to 2013 when it relocated to 215 East Water Street.
The mansard roof, added about 1870, gives the building a Second Empire look. Ornamental metal vase-like decorations flank the dormer, with dentil and brackets adorning the paneled frieze boards. The second floor has been covered with glazed brick. The lower front has also been altered.