THE WILDMAN & MILLS WAREHOUSE – 223 W. Water St.
The building was built in 1835 by Sandusky founders Zalmon Wildman and Isaac Mills for warehouse use. Its front door faces Water St. and its back faces Shoreline Dr. once railroad tracks which ran along the shoreline.
THE SANDUSKY ATHLETIC CLUB
The Club has a long history at this site. The Club was formed as a benevolent society on January 21, 1916.
In the summer of 1934, several shows promoted by the Sandusky Athletic Club, run by Red Morrisey and Johnny Fischer, were held at the fairgrounds. You can findout more about the History of wrestling in Sandusky HERE.
In 2007, the organization filed a certificate of Dissolution with the State.
THE HOTEL KILBOURNE
In December 2014,– it was announced that the building that housed the Sandusky Athletic Club would be transformed into a boutique hotel. It was given the name the Kilbourne Hotel by the new owners, Nikki Lloyd and Ryan Whaley, who named the hotel in honor of Hector Kilbourne and the Kilbourne Plat: the name of the city’s design. Materials from the building have been re purposed (bar tops are made from roof supports, shelving for the bar and trellis were part of the fire escape and original brick can be found downstairs and in some rooms.
Of course the surname Kilbourne is very familiar to Sandusky residents. The great grandfather of James Russell Kilbourne, was an early surveyor of the lands in Ohio. James Kilbourne (1770-1850) was instrumental in the founding of Sandusky and Worthington. Hector Kilbourne, son of the elder James, was responsible for laying out the plat of Sandusky in the shape of the Masonic emblem.
THE MOSELY PUBLIC HOUSE
The Moseley Public House in the building, was named after Moseley’s Channel in Sandusky Bay. The channel was used by the ships entering and leaving Sandusky Bay.
Edwin Lincoln Moseley began teaching science at the Sandusky High School in Sandusky, Ohio. He held this position from 1889 to 1914. He was a pioneer in outdoor science teaching and would frequently take students on day-trips to neighboring communities and the Lake Erie Islands. His teaching philosophy was to inspire students to make original observations and to develop independent thinking. With the help of his students, Moseley surveyed underwater valleys of the Sandusky Bay. These natural river valleys were the result of pre-glacial streams. Sandusky Bay is relatively shallow and his research led to the valleys acting as exit channels for loaded ships leaving the ports of Sandusky.